And after having run into the (barely) shorter-output-tape situation after
a major, self-induced problem with VM:Backup here (accidentally scratching
hundreds of tapes, but of those none from the same twin set), I opened an
enhancement request (now called a DAR) with perhaps then Systems Center
(been a long time) asking for such a capability

It was never implemented.  I don't recall any more if it was canned, or
still sits there queued in "DAR limbo".

BTW, someone suggested in this thread the idea of making manual copies
after the backup completes, but then only being able to restore them with
VMBRITS and VMBSAR.  Warning: VMBSAR does not support 3590+ tapes.
VM:Backup will happily make physical backups to 3590 tapes, but there's no
way to restore them without a running VMBACKUP svm, and access to the
VM:Backup catalog containing the physical tape backups.  A chicken-and-egg
problem.  Works for us, but you really need to think of all the aspects to
make it work.  HiDRO is the alternative which circumvents the lack of 3590
support in VMBSAR.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Mark Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
06/06/2008 08:50 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Backup: Twinning Tapes to Remote Tape Unit

> Curiousity question, because I don't know VM:Backup, is there a way to
> tell VM:Backup to only use n% of a tape? Our z/OS backup utility can be
> told to do this. If this is possible, then you could fill a tape up to,
> say, 80% and be fairly confident that the second tape would be long
> enough to hold that data.

Not that I'm aware of.

Mark Wheeler

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.