When experimenting with encrypting backups, I used PIPEDDR to write PACKE
versions of the data to a CMS minidisk. These are RECFM F LRECL 1024 and
can
be ftped to Linux and back as binary files, forcing the RECFM/LRECL on
return. PIPEDDR can then be used to read these files and restore your DAS
D.

I also tried the CKDSVRST program from the IBM Downloads page, but that
required the extra COPYFILE (PACK step, again reading/writing the data mo
re
than necessary.

Have you thought about using Linux tools (dd ?) to read/write your DASD?

/Tom Kern
/U.S. Dept of Energy
/301-903-2211

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:42:13 -0400, Michael Coffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
om>
wrote:

>(Cross-posted on VMESA-L and LINUX-390)
>
>Hi Folks,
>
>I want to eliminate use of tapes in my weekly DR process.  Currently we
>DDR numerous 3390 spindles to 3590 tape cartridges.
>
>I have set up a Linux server at our DR site with a ton of free disk
>space, but the question becomes what is the best method to get images of

>our DASD stored on it?
>
>I've modified our procedures to use DDR2CMS to create CMS files
>representing the 3390 DASD images, which are then FTP'd to the Linux
>server - but the process is VERY inefficient:
>
>1.     DDR2CMS produces RECFM=V files which are unsuitable for FTP
>(I've NEVER had any luck successfully FTP'ing RECFM=V files to a non-C
MS