Tom, you,re close....the real name is VM/Encrypt-Tape; more information
about it can be found here:
http://www.vsoft-software.com/products.html

Mike, the amount of CPU cycles VM/Encrypt-Tape consumes is a function of
the zSeries processor it runs on. If the processor supports the (new)
KM/KMC instrunctions for the encryption algorithm you want to use,
VM/Encrypt-Tape will use that hardware to do the encryption (very fast). If
the processor does not support the KM/KMC instrunctions for the choosen
algorithm, then it falls back to a software implementation of the
encryptioon algorithm. As an example, the z990 has hardware sypport for the
AES algotithm with a key size of 128 bits, while the new z10 hardware
supports AES with a key size up to 256 bits.
If you request a AES 256 bit key length encryption operation on a z990,
VM/Encrypt-Tape will do it in the software, on a z10, it will do it in the
hardware.

What this means is that tapes can be moved back and forth between
production and DR sites without the requirement that both sites have the
same types of hardware tape encryption devices and support software (IBM,
third party, etc.) installed. It's very flexible....

Thanks for the kind words, too.

DJ