We have been a z/VM shop for about three years and have applied RSU
maintenance during those three years.  We currently are running z/VM 5.3
and are working on applying RSU0801.  This is the first time we have
done an RSU with DIRMAINT and RACF in the picture.  We are wondering how
other people handle doing maintenance with DIRMAINT and RACF.

Here is what we did.
1) To get the PUT2PROD for DIRMAINT maintenance to work we shutdown the
DIRMAINT guest and all of the DIRSAT guest.  (we run three lpars that
share the user directory)

2) To get the PUT2PROD for RACF maintenance to work we shutdown the
effected lpar.  The other two lpars stayed up.  IPLed the effected lpar
with NOAUTOLOG and XAUTOLOG RACMAINT.  We then completed the PUT2PROD.
We then did a SHUTDOWN REIPL of the lpar and came back up normal.

Paul Feller
AIT Mainframe Technical Support