Thanks for your continued explanations (and patience!!) Alan, in answering our
many questions.

I understand the assigned subnet part, and the 'virtual router' to get to a
physical network, which a VSwitch does not require.

But, I needed to understand - for a subnet on a Hipersocket:  When I configure
my Linux Guest to attach to a Hipersocket, so that I can get to a z/VSE Stack,
then I have to enter the Linux Guest's IP Address to use on the Hipersocket,
and the Routing Table entries.

For example, my Hipersocket subnet is 10.0.205.0/24.  My VSE is at
10.0.205.200.  Another VSE is at 10.0.205.201, another at 10.0.205.202, etc.
My Linux Guest is at 10.0.205.1.  Everything uses subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
In the Linux Guest, I believe I need to enter a Routing Entry with Destination
= 10.0.205.0, and a corresponding Gateway address for that Routing Entry.  I am
not sure what value to enter in that corresponding Gateway address in the
Routing table, and why I would use that value.

On a Hipersocket, does the Routing Entry Gateway address really mean anything?
In contrast, I understand on a physical network that the Routing Table Gateway
address represents the "next hop" in getting to the physical network.  But on a
Hipersocket, there is no intermediary address to go through in order to get to
those VSE stacks.

I sure hope I'm formulating this question in an intelligible way.  Like I've
said before, this network stuff is a challenge.

>>> Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 7/28/2008 12:19 PM >>>
   On Monday, 07/28/2008 at 11:08 EDT, Richard Clapper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
   > I thought I had seen somewhere that the Gateway IP Address for a
Hipersocket
   > connection from either z/VSE, z/OS, z/VM, or even a Linux Guest should be
   > 0.0.0.0, with Mask 255.255.255.0.
   >
   > Is that documented somewhere?  I can't find it!  Or did I have a really
good dream?

   > Would that also apply to a Guest LAN connection definition?

Every network segment, be it a CTC, Guest LAN, HiperSocket, Token Ring,
Ethernet, whatever, has an assigned subnet.  There is no "should be".  There is
only "as designed".  Of course, the machine owner does not (typically) do the
network design - sysprogs *implement* said design.  ;-)

There is no IP address 0.0.0.0, so you can't assign it to anything.  In a
routing table it is used to indicate a default route, but all the OSes have a
platform-specific method of defining a default route (aka "default gateway").

So when talking to your network designer, tell him or her that your machine has
16 integrated and isolated LAN segments that can be used to connect any number
of LPARs and/or z/VM guests together.  (We call them HiperSocket chpids.)  Each
z/VM's Guest LAN (as many as you want) provides an isolated LAN segment.  All
of them require a "virtual router" to get
data to/from the physical network.

The Virtual Switch does not require a virtual router.

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.