>>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at  2:19 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Luis
La Torre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Patrick,
>
>  I did not issue comands mkinitdr and zipl.

You should, or use YaST to do this type of work.  It manages all the various
configuration files, mkinitrd, and zipl for you automagically.  That can save
you a lot of headaches in the long run.  (I do prefer that people learn how to
do things like this manually, before starting to rely on YaST, so don't take my
suggestion to use YaST as a condemnation of doing things "by hand."  It's how I
learned most of what I know.)

> Redbook sg24-6694 page 186 section 6.1 says that  "with sles 9, you no
> longer need to run the mkinitrd and zipl commands in order to configure new
> ECKD)."

That may be true, but (without doing any testing) I would say that if you do
things the way they recommend, it's possible your DASD volumes won't be
available until control has passed from the initrd to the system running from
the "real" DASD.  Depending on what file systems you mount them on, that could
be an issue.

> But my dasd disappeared anyway.  I am still researching what else I need to
> do. Meanwhile I re-added the space, formated, and it shows in lsdasd.

You shouldn't have had to do that, just bring them back online with YaST.

Mark Post