> So if I understand LOGONBY it simply allows a user to logon to lets say
> TCPMAINT using the user's own PASSWORD. Does this mean you still use
> TCPMAINT as the userid?

That's correct. LOGONBY will let a user logon to TCPMAINT using his own
userid and password of his own userid (the command will be "LOGON TCPMAINT
BY userid"). That will leave an audit trail of *who* logged on to TCPMAINT
and when. But the main advantage of LOGONBY is that user does not need to
know TCPMAINT's password. That also means that you can change it without
having to tell anyone about it.

If you set *yourself* with LOGONBY to all "system-type" userids, you will
not have to remember multiple passwords, just your own. Then, you can even
let your ESM generate random passwords for userids like TCPMAINT, because
you don't really have to know it either. NB, don't do this (random
passwords) until you are comfortable with LOGONBY. Just don't tell anyone
about the passwords.

Ivica Brodaric