From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Robert J McCarthy
Sent: Wed 10/15/2008 8:31 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DF/DSS backup of z/VM volumes

Scott,
   The ICKDSF example that you have supplied places a standard OS vtoc
on the volume. We do the same zOS initialization here. We then run a
CPVOL under vm to initialize the volume. With the exception of vm
sysres, spool, page, 1 shared volume and swap; all of our vm volumes are
used for linux. In the USER DIRECT I allocate all linux volumes/mini
disks at cylinder 1, so that I preserve the OS vtoc; otherwise linux
will overwrite the OS vtoc. I don't know if that is related to your
problem.
                        Bob