On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:25:17 -0500, Alan Ackerman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I got asked:
>
>“Does z/VM impose non-insignificant overhead?  Is it similar to VMware
, in
>which virtual I/O imposes significant overhead, but most processor and

>memory access runs at close to native physical speed?”
>
>I don’t know anything about VMWARE so I could not answer the question.
>know that CCW Translation in VM costs significant cycles.
>
>I think FCP disks < dedicated DASD < fullpack minidisks < small minidisk
s.
>I would HOPE that the zSeries, with so much of virtualization built into

>the hardware, would have lower costs than VMWARE, but I don’t really k
now.

>Any takers?

I'm hesitant to mention this, since I would have thought it would be brou
ght
up by others, but last I knew, VMWare doesn't have anywhere the performan
ce
monitoring capabilities that z/VM does.  It has some minor SNMP

http://pubs.vmware.com/esx254/admin/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm
?context=admin&file=esx25admin_snmp.8.1.html

but that appears to be the limit of its function.

/ahw

>Are there any web sites that give performance comparisons VM versus VMWA
RE?