On Tuesday, 11/25/2008 at 03:09 EST, Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can have as many NICs defined to your Linux guest as you have real
storage
> to support.  Assuming the NICs are connected to different network
segments (as
> in your case) it's called "multi-homing."  You don't have to put those
> definitions in the CP directory,however.  You can dynamically define
them
> either using the "vmcp" command from Linux or from the guest's VM
console via
> #CP commands.  I've done that many times over the last few years:
> #cp define nic XXXX
> #cp couple XXXX to system VSWITCHNAME

I recommend not doing it this way.  Use NICDEF in the user's directory.
This gives you the ability to remove the DEFINE command from the Linux
guest.  Further, it makes it obvious from looking at the directory who you
*intend* to use a VSWITCH.  If you convert to an ESM, the ESM's USER
DIRECT processing may be able to  convert the NICDEF into an
authorization.  (RACF doesn't handle NICDEF today, but will.)