On Monday, 12/08/2008 at 10:31 EST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Another thought: If your disk subsystem supports snapshot, format one
> ?template? disk using CPFMTXA, attach it to a suitably privileged ID,
attach
> the new disk to your id, SNAPSHOT from the template to the new disk,
then run
> ICKDSF CPVOL FORMAT for just cylinder 0 giving the new label and CP
ALLOC info.
> That should be really fast, and when you detach the new disk from your
id, you
> can then just ATTACH it to SYSTEM and you?re ready to rock and roll.

Or FLASHCOPY.  Be sure your "template" pack has a volser that is
recognizably "garbage".  E.g. 000000 or SCRTCH.  Something you recognize
as "available" or "unused".

On a related note, keep an eye out for our FlashCopy SE (Space Efficient)
support coming to a theater near you in time for Christmas.  It will make
this and a lot of other disk-related activities easier:
- Copies that only contain changes (h/w-based union mount)
- Ability to throw away the changes with a single command
- Instantaneous copies useful when you want to backup the volume, but
without the time delay and consumption of disk storage that you would have
with 'traditional' FlashCopy.
- The ability to specify a new label when you FlashCopy a volume (also
available with traditional FlashCopy)
- And more...