Clifford,

You may want to check your VM:Backup console...  It should show you the
information it is sending to VM:Tape.
Verify in your VM:Backup resource pools that the resource pool name (that
is being sent to VM:Tape) matches
a pool in your VM:Tape config.   You may somehow be mixing tape types...?

Or, check your VM:Backup job template for your daily backup and verify how
many drives you are requesting
(which shows under 'Number of Tape Streams').  If you have more than 4 tape
streams, it will ask for more drives
than you have

Hope this helps - I'm sure there aren't many working today.... :-)

Christine Brogan - TPF/VM Systems Support
Information Technology Services Americas
Phone:  623-505-5366, Cell: 623-512-5883, IBM tieline 273-4647
Email: ccbro...@us.ibm.com
"The end of fear is where we begin - the moment we decided to let Love
in..." Goo Goo Dolls

             clifford jackson
             <cliffordjackson6
             9...@msn.com>                                                To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <ib...@listserv.u                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: FTP and Z/VM5.4

             12/26/2008 07:01
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <ib...@listserv.u
                 ARK.EDU>

Whats the work around for the following problem that i am having I am
running CA's VMBACKUP and VMTAPE, I have four tape drive total when I start
my daily backups VMTAPE assigns all four tape drives and looks for another
and tells me there's 1 tape allocation the following is a console listing:

VMYTAP070I There are 0 mounts and 1 allocations pending.
vmtape query alloc
VMTDRV144I Waiting for a 128track HPTC drive for VMBACKUP 0310 V10204.
VMTQRY142I There are now 1 pending drive allocation(s).
VMYINI006I 0.004 Ready;

> Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:12:28 -0500
> From: steven.im...@ca.com
> Subject: Re: FTP and Z/VM5.4
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>
> Jim,
>
> I'ts likely RPIVAL and RPIUCMS ... they are not really needed any longer,
the authentication is done differently under z/VM 5.4. There were updates
to the VM:Secure versions of these to support backward compatability that
you likely do not have in place ... so accessing the older code is likely
the cause of the problem. However, as you see, getting rid of them also
works.

> JR Imler
>
> ________________________________

5.4. I've discovered the source of one of them.

> We run some daily procedures involving ftp processes from our VMRMAINT
(VMSECURE's Maint machine). All FTP processes were failing until we
released the VMRAINT 194 minidisk.

> We were not having this problem before the upgrade to Z/VM 5.4.
>

> Perhaps the next step is to locate what is on the VMRMAINT 194 that
causes FTP to blow off.

> Merry Christmas.

> Jim Hughes
>
> 603-271-5586
>
> "It is fun to do the impossible."

Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your HotmailĀ® account now.