From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu]on
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 10:53 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Relationship question

On Friday, 01/09/2009 at 09:47 EST, "Huegel, Thomas" <thue...@kable.com>
wrote:
> I don't always pay attention to these things so it may just be my
ignorance
> that has confused me.
>
> I always thought RSU's were named for the time they came out, i.e. 0802
was the
> second RSU for 2008. Yesterday I saw a RSU tape that was labeled 5401. I
am
> guessing that is for z/VM 5.4 and the first RSU tape presumably we could
see
> maybe RSU 5407 or something like that in maybe 2011. This labeling
scheme
> actually makes more sense to me.
>
> So the question 'when did this change?'. Or has my head been in the sand
for
> years?

Head.  Sand.  :-)  But don't worry, it confuses me, too!

The RSU is named according to the release it affects and the RSU instance
number for that release, vrnnRSU.  5402RSU is the 2nd RSU for z/VM 5.4.
The RSU contains a collection of the most recent service levels for each
component.  You can see this at http://www.vm.ibm.com/service/rsu/. RETAIN
does not understand RSU numbers because an RSU is just a shipping
mechanism, not a fix.  But when all you have is a hammer, everything looks
like a nail, so in order to make it shippable to you via the service
stream, it has to have a PTF number.  So each release has a special PTF
number that orders the latest RSU. (UM97540 for

What's a "service level?".  A Service Level (QUERY CPLEVEL, GCSLEVEL,
CMSLEVEL) is a package of selected PTFs for a specific component and is
available only by ordering the RSU.  It is named according the year and
instance number of within that year, yynn. 0802 is the 2nd service level
'uplift' in 2008.  Service Levels are cumulative, so it will contain all
prior service levels for that component.  E.g. 0901 will contain 0802 and
0801.

When a PTF is placed in a service level (aka selected to be placed on an
RSU), the PTF is labeled in RETAIN with that service level number and the
PTF keeps that label forever.  This is seen in our web pages as SERVLVL.

In case that's not confusing enough, we used to let you order the
individual service levels for each component separately, known as a
"non-stacked RSU".  As a consequence, the pre-packaged service level was
named yynnRSU.  You will still find that when you look at the content of
the service levels.  Today's "stacked vrnnRSU" contains a specific set of
yynnRSUs.

If you read the Memo to Users that comes with your RSU order, you will
find the full explanation.

Note that applying corrective service does not change the Service Level of
the components as seen via SES commands or QUERY commands, even if you
apply all of the PTFs contained in the Service Level!  The special
"pseudo-PTF" that changes these fields in the system is not available
correctively and is not in RETAIN; it is found only on the RSU.

We'll take a look and see if we can simplify some of the web pages to make
it more obvious, but both vrnnRSU and yynnRSU will continue to be seen for
now, as it would take a lot of re-engineering on our part to make yynnRSU
go away completely.  If we could declare "Do Overs!" we would do it
diffferently, but a lot of water has gone under that particular bridge.

Bottom line:
o vrnnRSU is the "RSU number," a collection of service levels, one for
each affected component.  Orderable via PTF.
o yynnRSU is the "service level," a collection of PTFs for a specific
component.  Available only within an RSU.

Hope this helps.