I kind of think this might be an issue with the RSU not being loaded...
But since a RSU DVD did not come with the system, and the downloaded RSU is
not in the DVD RSU "format", I could not load the RSU DVD when prompted.
So, my two questions/problems (the INSTVM problem and "missing" RSU) may be
very related...At this point in the install (ready to run the INSTVM) the
USER DIRECT has not been built yet so I have a very limited MAINT
configuration  (no 19e, 5e5, 500, etc.)

Mike

C. M. (Mike) Hammock
Sr. Technical Support
IBM System Z  Solutions
Mainline Information Systems
(404) 643-3258
mhamm...@mainline.com

             "Rob van der
             Heij"
             <rvdh...@gmail.co                                          To
             m>                        "IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU"
             Sent by: The IBM          <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <ib...@listserv.u                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Re: Fw: First install of 5.4: 2
                                       questions/problems

             01/14/2009 09:20
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <ib...@listserv.u
                 ARK.EDU>

The trick seems to be that when the right steps are followed, the RSU
envelopes land on the MAINT 500 disk as by magic (because the
particular track images happen to be in the directory). When you load
the two DVDs onto an FTP server, the contents of the two get merged. I
thought that when you install straight from the DVD it gives you the
option to swap media. If nothing else, you could simply order the RSU
electronically and put it there.

I responded to IBM per RCF that skipping the step in the instructions
kept me hunting for a while. It would be nice to simply point out how
it works. But space on the summary is limited.

Rob

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by
others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply
email and delete all copies of this message. To reply to our email
administrator directly, send an email to postmas...@csihome.com