On Tuesday, 01/20/2009 at 11:46 EST, Sterling James
<ssja...@dstsystems.com> wrote:

> I do have the v3.3.8p2 compiled with SSL support. I am trying to setup
the
> "dynamic" connection (TELNET START-TLS) vs the static (ssl-tunnel). The
> unknowns are "how to" deal with the certificates/
>
> From http://x3270.bgp.nu/x3270-man.html
>
> Prepending an L: onto hostname causes x3270to first create an SSL tunnel
to the
> host, and then create a TN3270 session inside the tunnel. (This function
is
> supported only if x3270 was built with SSL/TLS support). Note that
> TLS-encrypted sessions using the TELNET START-TLS option are negotiated
with
> the host automatically; for these sessions the L: prefix should not be
used.

If you specify L: then you have to use "SECURE <label>" option on the PORT
statement entry.  If you do not specify, the L:, then you DO NOT use the
SECURE option on PORT, but add the SecureConnection and TLSlabel options
to the InternalClientParms statement.  Note that you cannot mix the two on
the same port.  If you need both, then use:

InternalClientParms
   Port 23
   Port xxxx
   SecureConnection REQUIRED
   TLSlabel <label>
EndInternalClientParms

Port
   23 TCP INTCLIEN
 xxxx TCP INTCLIEN SECURE <label>

This allows the L: option to be used with port xxxx, while the default
port (23) requires that START-TLS be used.  This configuration restricts
telnet login to only those telnet clients that support SSL/TLS.  The
persons that use L: will have to also be given the port number xxxx. (It's
just easier to require that the emulator support the START-TLS option.)
The telnet server is smart enough to know not to try to negotiate security
with a client if it is using a port that is defined as SECURE.

The <label> must be a 1-8 character label that was given when the
certificate was requested or imported into the database.  Feel free to use
the same label in both places.