Tony Thigpen wrote:
Anybody know where in the VM manuals the layout of the VOL1 label is documented?

I don't know where it is documented now but the DASD and tape VOL1 records are the same format. The fields that are meaningful only tor tape are reserved on DASD and those that are for DASD only are reserved on tape. There was a manual called something like "Labels Formats for MVS, DOS, and VM" that covered both DASD and tape labels. I have not seen it in many years and do not know if it still exists. It probably was renamed after MVS became z/OS and DOS became VSE.

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit