On Tuesday, 02/10/2009 at 02:18 EST, Brian France <b...@psu.edu> wrote:
> We use FDR here. Run CPFMTXA to put an index vtoc on the vol at 0 that
z/OS can
> see. FDR then just dumps the entire volume. Once, we did not do CPFMTXA
and
> z/OS could not handle the volume. Had to run CPFMTXA on the 0 - 1 cyls
to put
> that index vtoc out there.

Um, not all volumes have a VTOC on cyl 0.  A guest can have cyl 0 and it
is not *required* to have a VTOC.  If you write one, you may well overlay
user data.

Of course, if there is no VTOC, the VTOC pointer will be blank (if it is a
VOL1 label) or, more likely, it will not be VOL1.  FDR/DFDSS need to
handle these cases.  There's a reason that volume labels follow a set of
standards!  :-)