Alan,
THANX! In our user direct we place a holder on every volume from 0 1 so no overlay happens. Learned that from this fabulous list and just ass/u/me/d it was standard. Had I read this message to begin with correctly I would've understood that the individual was looking for a how to with DFDSS, not a why overall didn't it work which is why I asked if the volume was formatted. We had a guy here get a new vol, which had ickdsf run against it from z/OS, did the cpfmtxa label only, then filled it with our new experimental sles 10 sp2 shared root set up. z/OS failed to back it up or even recognize it. That's when we tried the format from 0 1 and it worked for us in that z/OS using FDR could then back it up.

At 08:35 AM 2/11/2009, you wrote:
On Tuesday, 02/10/2009 at 02:18 EST, Brian France <b...@psu.edu> wrote:
> We use FDR here. Run CPFMTXA to put an index vtoc on the vol at 0 that
z/OS can
> see. FDR then just dumps the entire volume. Once, we did not do CPFMTXA
and
> z/OS could not handle the volume. Had to run CPFMTXA on the 0 - 1 cyls
to put
> that index vtoc out there.

Um, not all volumes have a VTOC on cyl 0.  A guest can have cyl 0 and it
is not *required* to have a VTOC.  If you write one, you may well overlay
user data.

Of course, if there is no VTOC, the VTOC pointer will be blank (if it is a
VOL1 label) or, more likely, it will not be VOL1.  FDR/DFDSS need to
handle these cases.  There's a reason that volume labels follow a set of
standards!  :-)

Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/SYSARC
Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
b...@psu.edu

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Carl Sagan