The DIRMAINT install can be, or rather IS, a real PITA.  Make sure that in your CONFIG* DATADVH you have replaced ESM_PASSWORD_AUTHENTICATION_EXIT= with DVHXPA EXEC rather than the older DVHDA0.  Also in 140CMDS DATADVH and 150CMDS DATADVH, be sure to have column 35 set to N.  AUTHFOR CONTROL needs to be set up as well on the DIRMAINT 1DF disk.

I'm pretty sure that those are not the only gotcha's but they are what I have in my notes for going to 5.4.  It's hard to believe that a product can have evolved with so many related and interdependent control files on different disks.  I don't think that DIRMAINT was planned.  It just sort of happened and I've voiced that opinion before here on the list and to various people in Endicott.

Jim

Kris Buelens wrote:
I'm installing z/VM 5.4 with Dirmaint and RACF (and this time
"following the book" as opposed to my own methods).

I did copy the CONFIGRC SAMPDVH as DATADVH and DIRMAINT sees it.  So,
it should have all RACF enablements.

MAINT is defined as a LOGONBY user and is logged on BY BUELENSC.
When I issue DIRM NEEDPASS NO in MAINT, DIRMAINT prompts me for
MAINT's password:
- I'd say it should prompt for BUELENSC's password
  (I am not supposed to know MAINT's password when using LOGONBY)
- So I enter BUELENSC's password and RACF rejects it.  Seems that the query
  DIRMAINT passes to RACF indeed wants indeed an authentication as MAINT:
  OPERATOR gets ICH301I MAXIMUM PASSWORD ATTEMPTS BY SPECIAL USER  MAINT

Is this supposed to work?

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University