We're trying to use the LPR command from a z/VM 5.4 system to print to a
windows print server.  The problem we're having is we'd like the print
file to be identified with a user different from the logon user.  Is
there some kind of option on the LPR command or global variable to
achieve this?

I think you could do this if you used the RSCS LPR support (rather than
directly sending it to the printer from the virtual machine). You could
manipulate the tag data of the spool file from a privileged ID, then transfer
it to RSCS for printing. The LPR support is part of the TCP components of RSCS
you're permitted to use without license.

The RSCS LPR links are more stable anyway, and don't tie up the virtual machine.