We have VM:Secure, but the same question came up the other day.  We have
application userids that have a number of developers authorized to use
LOGONBY, but the application owners don't want those developers to be
able to change the Rules files for those userids.  They want that
authority restricted to just a couple of people.  VM:Secure normally
prompts for the directory password when a user enters a command to
modify the directory or Rules file.  If the password is LBYONLY, then
the user enters LBYONLY in response to the prompt.  There's also an
authorization similar to DIRM NEEDPASS NO to remove the prompt.  The
solution for this application was to withhold the authorization for the
userids to manage their own Rules files, and grant it to an
administrator userid that only the Rules administrators could LOGONBY
to.

As far as security and audit trails go, there's no functional difference
between an audit trail that says userid DENNIS did LOGONBY to MAINT and
then MAINT did VMSECURE EDIT RSCS, vs an audit trail that says userid
DENNIS did VMSECURE EDIT RSCS, except that the first version takes more
steps to follow.

To the question of whether DIRM NEEDPASS YES is still needed, our
security standards require re-authentication, i.e. enter your password,
at the time a password is changed.  Even though we're not a DIRMAINT
customer, I'm sure there are DIRMAINT shops with the same requirement.

I've used DIRMAINT before, and I agree that the setup and configuration
is arcane.  My suggestion for changing it is to make it look just like
VM:Secure.

                                                       Dennis O'Brien

39,585