From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of David Boyes
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:06 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: FCP devices in user directory

On 3/3/09 10:49 AM, "Bauer, Bobby (NIH/CIT) [E]" <baue...@mail.nih.gov>
wrote:

> Our up and coming z/VM and zLinux pilot got a present when another section
> surplused an old sans device with switches. We hope to get the I/O gen done
> this weekend but I haven't been able to figure out how to specify space for a
> Linux guest in the user directory. An MDISK statement doesn't look likes it
> supports SCSI devices. So how do you specify space in the user directory for a
> SCSI device
> Since this is all very new to us, I hope I'm not way off base.

Two ways: EDEV or attached devices.

I personally prefer EDEV for simplicity reasons (you set up the switches
once, allocate a bunch of really enormous LUNs, then define the resulting
EDEVs to DIRMAINT as volumes and treat them just like normal minidisks) but
there is a performance penalty for that simplicity.

Attached devices let you take most advantage of features in the hardware,
but you have to worry about WWPNs and masks and all that SCSI stuff every
time you want to add space or change volumes, etc.