        From: The IBM z/VM Operating System
[mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf Of David Boyes
        Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:02 AM
        To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
        Subject: Re: XSTORE

        Paging hierarchy. Think of XSTORE as a really highspeed buffer
between main storage and real disk. If you hit a spike in paging
activity (like when all your Linux guests wake up near the same time to
do something cron-related), you dramatically increase the probability
that the pages you want/need are in XSTOR rather than having to wait for
them to come in from physical I/O.

        I don't really bother to attach XSTORE to a userid unless it's
z/OS or maybe VSE. In most cases I've seen, those are the only guest
systems that really know what to do with it, and they're doing so much
of their own thing that the impact on the floor system isn't usually
their big issue.

        On 3/4/09 1:55 PM, "Michael Coffin" <michaelcof...@mccci.com>