OK, so what application/processes are classified as "root user" that may use
some of that 5% space?

I've had the same problem with some systems.  I don't know that they are not
working anymore, or perhaps they are working, and when I need to boot them, due
to planned outages, not only I couldn't bring them down clean, but then didn't
come back up.

I do laugh as even people at IBM, the hardware side, can't figure out things
such as logrotate.

We have an IBM DS6800.  It uses some form of Unix/Linux for its controller
code.  About every 2.5 years, the controller area fills up and locks us out.
It still processes I/Os just fine, but the DS6800 console can't access it.  And
no one is notified.  No heartbeat goes out to IBM.  It doesn't notify support
about hardware errors.  We just run until, I guess, it eventually stops
running.  I stumbled on it this pass Monday as we have a power outage scheduled
for this weekend and we have to shut down.  We are current on our DS6800
hardware code.  If the powers at IBM can't figure this one out with thousands
of identical systems, there is little hope for the rest of us with tens of
thousands of unique systems <G>.  OK rant off

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Mark Post <mp...@novell.com> 3/10/2009 6:19 PM >>>
>>> On 3/10/2009 at  5:51 PM, Tom Duerbusch <duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:
> As you are removing/deleting things, and the space still shows 0%
> available, that shows me that you have some process that is using up
> space quickly.

Probably not.  That 0% only applies to non-root users, because of the (by
default 5%) space reservation for the root user, just in case a file system
gets filled up.  In Clifford's case, he has about 23MB of free space on that
volume.  Not a whole lot, and awfully close to having his system die on him
from the root file system filling up.  Whether or not he frees up enough space,
he really needs to restructure his file systems so that not everything is
lumped into "/".

Mark Post