On Wednesday, 03/18/2009 at 09:39 EDT, Colin Allinson
<cgallin...@amadeus.com> wrote:

> I think we are in danger of somewhat missing the point of the quick
guide. I
> never considered it to be full and comprehensive instructions for
someone who
> has never done an install before. The manual does that job very well. It
is
> more of a quick aide memoir for those who need prompts and checklists.
After
> all, pilots know how to fly but they still use checklists to ensure they
don't
> forget something - that doesn't mean we would expect someone to learn to
fly
> from the checklist.

The decision to get rid of the one-page Quick Guides as they exist today
was a business decision.  Technically we could continue produce them, of
course, but non-optional changes to form and content have to be made. The
resulting document would have both diminished value and increased cost. We
chose instead to spend those dollars to provide a better
Installation/Service guide that can meet the needs of both the experienced
VMer and the newbie.

As it happens, it's also an exercise that lets us study the human factors
of installation/service so that we can learn where the soft spots are and
decide if they need more attention, whether that's in words or by updates
to the tools.