I think it would stil be wise to precede a READ by
   address command 'CONWAIT';  address command 'DESBUF'
This assures that the terminal input buffer is emptied, with PARSE
PULL one only empties the program stack.
Alternatively: code    do queued()+externals() ; parse pull ....  ; end

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support