Scott,
That sounds good although I know Suleiman doesn't have a WAKEUP/VMUTIL machine
running. He would need to set one up and test it.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu]on Behalf
Of Scott Rohling
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 5:04 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Creating two logs from an exec

I'll propose another change - but it depends on what type of automation you set
up.  Rather than dedicating a VM userid to run this CPU monitor -- I would
probably implement it under an existing userid (like VMUTIL) that is already
running, waiting to do scheduled events.  (In fact I do have things like this
already running that do simple checking/alerting via VMUTIL)

In that case - rather than a 'Do Forever' loop -- you would simply execute
what's contained in that loop once, minus the CP SLEEP, and exit.   You let the
caller do the waiting (hopefully via WAKEUP rather than SLEEP) and call the
EXEC at the desired intervals.

So..   let's call this CPULOG  (thanks David Juarez ;-) -- and add an option:

CPULOG (ONCE

The option ONCE indicates we don't loop forever and we don't sleep - but we do
all the other logic and write values to files.

Take this a step further in terms of sending the file.  Rather than hardcoding
a time check and the recipients of the report:

CPULOG (SEND SULEIMAN ROHLING AT BLDVMB TOM AT KERNVM

The option SEND indicates that today's (or yesterdays??) file(s) be sent via
SENDFILE to the recipients listed after SEND and we just exit -- forget about
any of the other logic that checks CPU values.

The objective here is to make it unnecessary to hard code things into the EXEC
and provide ways (from a scheduler or other userid) to invoke CPULOG, rather
than dedicating a userid to sit and spin running it forever - SLEEPing 99.2% of
the time.

I'll code up the above options - but wanted some input first, since we're on a
roll..

Scott