________________________________
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 12:38 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Problems with IPLing a SECOND LEVEL z/VM 5.3

Hi

I am taking my first crack at building a 2nd level z/VM under my 1st level
z/VM. I tried IPLing the 2nd level and I am receiving the following:

13:20:27 Start ((Warm|Force|COLD|CLEAN) (DRain) (DIsable)  (NODIRect)
13:20:27       (NOAUTOlog)) or (SHUTDOWN)
H HCPSED6013A A CP read is pending.

At this point I cannot enter anything in the console.

A little background on how I built this. The 2nd level is a copy of my 1st
level with any needed changes to the SYSTEM CONFIG and Directory files. The RES
and Spool are copies from my first level.  Below is a copy of my SECLVL user
directory entry:

USER SECLVL SECLVL 500M 500M BCDEFG
MACHINE ESA 2
OPTION TODENABLE
IPL CMS
CONSOLE 0009 3215 T OPERATOR
SPOOL 000C READER A
SPOOL 000D PUNCH A
SPOOL 000E PRINTER A
LINK MAINT 0190 0190 RR
LINK MAINT 019D 019D RR
LINK MAINT 019E 019E RR
MDISK 191  3390 1 200 53DW01 MR
MDISK 1000 3390 0 END 53DRES MR
MDISK 12F1 3390 0 END 53DPAG MR
MDISK 12F2 3390 0 END 53DSPL MR

Now the examples in the book 'z/VM Running Guest Operating Systems'  are using
one disk broken down into multiple mdisks for RES, PAGE, and SPOOL. I just
decided to use my copy of the first level and make these full pack mdisks as
you see in the user directory. Will this approach work? Or am I missing
something.

Thank You,

Terry Martin
Lockheed Martin - Information Technology
z/OS & z/VM Systems - Performance and Tuning
Cell - 443 632-4191
Work - 410 786-0386
terry.ma...@cms.hhs.gov<mailto:terry.ma...@cms.hhs.gov>

  • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
    • ... Bob Bates
      • ... Michael Coffin
    • ... Wandschneider, Scott
    • ... Wandschneider, Scott