I'll send my document with some practical directory wisdom to Valerie.
- I too would not use disks defined 0 END, but set them at the real size.
- keeping your minidisk off the "standard" install disks make
migrations a bit easier indeed.
- using LOGON BY:  I wouldn't like to live without.  Thanks to LOGON
BY I only need to remember my own password.
- LOGON BY with or without RACF are entirely different
  - without RACF,
    - you define who can use LOGON BY in the CP directory
    - the password LBYONLY (or alike) makes LOGON BY the only logon method
  - With RACF: directory definitions for LOGON BY are ignored
    - when you issue RDEFINE SURROGAT LOGONBY.userid
      the user becomes LOGON BY only
    - with PERMIT SURROGAT.userid CLASS(VMMDISK) ID(xxxx)
      you give the permissions
    - with PERMIT SURROGAT.userid CLASS(VMMDISK) ID(userid)
      the user is no longer LOGON BY only

Changing releases: the hardest part is merging the directories of the
new and the old VM system.  I've got some method and a few REXX execs
to help with this, but not enough documentation.  I used/created them
on a system with RACF and DIRMAINT.  Can'tt tell more in a short
append like this.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support