Tom said:
"I found it, although 'it' is not as complete as I had remembered.
What I am referring to is some nice 'how to' doc for DIRMAINT.
Appendix 'F' was added to 5.3 admin guide this is a procedure for making

mass changes to the directory and putting it back online.
I wish there were more easy to find procedures like this one. "

I agree, Tom, that there should be some more procedures, particularly for

DIRMAINT, but in my case, I am looking for a lot more extensive than a 1

page Appendix. Getting a little off the current question, on my wish list

is a "Best Practices" paper. I have found bits and pieces in some SHARE

presentations, but it would really be helpful to a new user to have some

of this drawn together into some kind of outline. New bears would really

appreciate such a thing.

I know that it can be argued that for a lot of choices "it depends", but

that in itself is also helpful; a list of the possibilities to consider

and known pros and cons of each, let us say for backup and recovery, for

instance, can eliminate a lot of reading time.

In lean years like this one with frozen budgets and unwillingness of
managemnet to spring for consultants or training (and the numbers at the

last SHARE attest to that), such information becomes even more valuable.