Rather than GROUP=NO, there is an entry for "Single User Environment (YES or
NO)". Above that line, there is one that asks for "RECOVERY MACHINE USERID
(required)"

The note dealing with the single user entry reads:

5. Will the GCS system run in a single user environment?

Enter YES to create a single user environment. Specify NO, to create a

group environment with common shared storage.

Applications that do not require group communications and that run

without the use of shared common storage can run in a single system

environment. These applications will run without the overhead of group

initialization and multiple virtual machines. For example, a test

environment requiring a single user and not group communications will

be able to run without the overhead of group initialization and the

multiple virtual machines.

I take that, "the multiple virtual machines," in the last two statements to
mean other machines like VTAM, ACS and buddies, but does not include the
recovery machine (which is, per the display, required). The note related to the
recovery machine question states that the GROUP command does check the recovery
machine userid for validity, "but does not prevent you from saving an incorrect
entry." What does that mean? You can put in something that would be acceptable
as a userid, even though there is no such id in the directory, or it must be an
existing id, even including one that is NOLOG?

All of that begs the question, how do you accomplish running without the
recovery machine? Do you simply enter an id and never log it on? I know that in
multiple user mode, GCS refuses to come up in RSCS or any other machine in the
group if the recovery machine is not already on. The documentation is perfectly
clear (to the one who wrote it).

Regards,
Richard Schuh