On Sunday, 05/31/2009 at 05:11 EDT, Perry Ruiter <prui...@ca.ibm.com>
wrote:
>   Having just spent the past several months of my life deeply immersed
in all
> thing SCIF, I can say Kris is right.  When a guest issues a read, CP
checks if
> the guest's secondary is functional.  If it is not, a CP READ is also
made
> pending.  To be functional the secondary must be connected or, if
disconnected,
> must have an IUCV connection to *MSG or *MSGALL.

As an aside, using the *VMEVENT system service, you can watch for
unexpected conditions like this and react before the 15-minute timebomb
goes off.  If you find that a disconnected guest has gone into CP READ,
you can make yourself the secuser, send a BEGIN, and (maybe) recover, or
at least scream for help while you hold the console.