Hi Folks,

I thought I'd share this one with you, quite possibly the ODDEST thing
I've seen in VM in over 25 years!

In order to satisfy security mandates, we are in the process of changing
ALL virtual machines that are not "owned" by individual humans to be
LBYONLY (i.e. they won't have unique passwords of their own that they
can authenticate with, they can ONLY be logged on by authorized users
using LOGONBY).  I prefer LBYONLY to AUTOONLY, in case a service virtual
machine starts misbehaving we can actually log on to it using LOGONBY to
see what's going on (which you can't do if the virtual machine password
is AUTOONLY).

We have a bunch of users that are DB2 for VM Stored Procedure servers.
They get autologged and run some DB2 code that allows work to be
offloaded onto them.  When we changed their passwords to be LBYONLY the
process stopped working.  Nobody seemed to know HOW these servers
actually get autologged, so I dug through some system logs from prior to
the change and found this:

AUTO LOGON  ***       SQLP0001 USERS = 101   BY SQLP0001

Is that the darnedest thing you ever saw?!?!?  How can a virtual machine
which is NOT logged on execute AUTOLOG, and if it IS logged on and can
execute AUTOLOG, then it cannot be AUTOLOGged!  This started the whole
"chicken and egg" analysis of course, and we were forced to make these
very unusual servers AUTOONLY (with many comments documenting this
oddity in their VM:Secure server profile!).

PS:  There is one other group of users that cannot use LBYONLY or
AUTOONLY, if a server (that normally runs disconnected) is the subject
of FTP operations, the FTP login authentication will fail with either
LBYONLY or AUTOONLY as the password.  If someone knows of a clever way
around this, I'd love to hear it ..... :)

-Mike