>> I am liking the USB port idea even more. How cool would it be to walk

>> into a D/R site with just a couple of thumb drives in your pocket to
>> restore your whole z/VM system?

> I wonder if FlexCUB from Fundamental Software would allow this?
> It is an Escon attached PC device which can emulate mainframe disk and

> tape. Of course, then the DR vendor has to have one around.

We are currently testing that exact procedure using our FLEX box.
First we backup both VM and VSE data to faketape.  We put them into a
separate folder to identify what needs to go offsite.  Then we run a
utility written by John Weis at T3 that will encrypt and zip the
faketape files and copy them over to a USB drive.

Preliminary tests show we can take around 11-12 gb of faketape files and
encrypt/zip them into about 3 gb on the USB drive in about 45 minutes.
It is pretty slick, but then, we don't have all that much data to worry
about either.

As far as a FlexCUB, if you are running version 7, the faketape files
can
be automatically encrypted as they are being created.

Ed Zell
Illinois Mutual Life
(309) 636-0107
.

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail in error, notify
the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.