From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of James M
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:26 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: HMC backup

What is the preferred method to back up the configuration defined on
the HMC for a z/890?
I'm concerned about lpar, osa, ica, and hardware
definitions....basically everything such that if the HMC were
destroyed I could easily recover.
I haven't poked around there a lot but wondered if there was a way to
get into the underlying unix/linux system, create a tarball of the
config and ftp it somewhere for safekeeping.
Or am I worrying needlessly? If the hmc were to melt down would not
one of the laptops attached to the cpu itself also have the same info?