On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 16:09:46 -0500, Adam Thornton <athorn...@sinenomine.ne
t> wrote:

>On Jul 1, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Richard Troth wrote:
>
>> By the way ... Unix cheats.
>> The shell expands all wildcards, which I have always said is a mistake

>> because it presumes on the context.  The shell can only expand
>> wildcards that are filenames.  Not everything you might want to
>> wildcard is a file.  Wouldn't it be nice if you could  'ifconfig
>> eth*'?
>
>Wouldn't it be nice if Unix worked like Unix was supposed to work, and
>everything *WERE* a file?
>
>Yeah, yeah, I know, Plan 9 is right over there if I want it.
>
>Adam
>========================
=========================
==========
==============

I think CP doesn't do wildcards because we didn't ask for it. We didn't a
sk for it because we could
throw together a Q&D EXEC to do what we needed, a lot quicker than wa
iting for IBM to deliver a
new release or two. Many CP commands do allow a range of (hex) device num
bers dev1-dev2.

I remember Unix globbing having problems if there were too many files tha
t met the pattern. Is
there a restriction on the length of a command in Posix?

Since many people have naming standards for volsers, support for wildcard
s on volsers in CP
would be useful. Someone want to write a requirement?

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com