On Monday, 07/06/2009 at 09:15 EDT, "Frankovich, Bob"
<bfrankov...@scspa.com> wrote:
> I thought the OSA needed to be configured and OSASF looked like the best
> way to do it.  I didn't know it would work without any configuration.  I
> guess another reason was for disaster recovery.  We had difficulties at
> our last DR test because we had to use an OSA and we had no experience
> with it.  I figured if I had the configuration in VM I could just load
> it to the OSA at the DR site.  Would that work?  How do others do it?
> As far as QDIO vs Non-QDIO, I'm just running with had I have.  It was
> Non-QDIO so I figured I'd keep it that way & avoid an IOCP gen.  We are
> z/VM 5.4 & z/VSE 4.1 so I hope we're current enough to use QDIO but I'll
> check.
> So how does the OSA know what's expected of it?  Just by the IOCP
> definitions?  Right now when I "Q 1460-146F"  I get 1460, 1461, & 146F
> FREE.  1462-146E are offline??? I can't find where they're Varied Off so
> how do they get that way?  Any ideas?

Bob, folks are moving to QDIO (chpid type OSD) as fast as they can, with
the primary reason being QDIO's "zero configuration" design.  The host
sets layer 2 MAC addresses (e.g. layer 2 VSWITCH) or IP addresses as
needed.  You can fire up OSA/SF to gather data about the OSA if you like,
but it isn't required for configuration of QDIO.

QDIO first appeared back on the 9672s (G5 driver 22), so you don't have to
worry about not being current enough.  :-)

And, yes, it is the IOCP that defines the operating mode of the OSA:
-  TYPE=OSE gives you non-QDIO LCS (IP) and LSA (SNA) assists in the
adapter.
-  TYPE=OSD give you layer 3 IP-only and layer 2 ethernet (any protocol)
assists in the adapter.
The reason you have only 1460, 1461 and 146F is because they are the only
ones you defined in the IOCP.  QDIO needs address triplets instead of
pairs, and you can define many triplets on the same OSA and they all can
share the same port.  (On a multiport card, the hosts specify the port
*number* - complete unrelated to a port *name*.)

Hint: One of the things that changed on th zSeries OSAs was that the QDIO
"port name" became optional for Linux, z/VM, and z/VSE, so ignore anything
you see about configuring port names.  If you specify a port name and get
it wrong, your OSA connections won't work.  Leave it off.  (Only z/OS
continues to require the specification of a port name.)