On Tuesday, 07/07/2009 at 03:33 EDT, russell.gendr...@custserv.com wrote:
> Well we have been trying to set this up under z/VM 5.4 with suse10 sp 2
> on a layer 2 switch with no luck. So I guess we should hold off until
> 6.1 is available :-)
>
> Anyone having any luck with the ability to move Linux guests from one
> z/VM to another while retaining it's IP and MAC address?
>
> We were told this could only be done on a layer 2 network especially if
> we want to trunk OSA's for band width.
>
> Sorry to jump in on the z/VM 6.1 subject.

You can do this, but you have to make sure that both CP's have the same
MACPREFIX in SYSTEM CONFIG and that the directory entry for the user on
both systems has the same MACID.  This means you need to carefully control
the range that CP will use for automatic MAC addresses assignments so that
they don't overlap.

And, yes, it requires Layer 2 VSWITCH.  The other requirement is that
Linux issue a gratuitous ARP response ("grat ARP") when the adapter is
enabled.  That's how the physical switch knows that MAC xxxx is on port
yyyy.