On Jul 29, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Edward M Martin wrote:

Hello Adam,

        I can say that I was told, in no uncertain terms, from IBM
that it is illegal to run VM/ESA and up under Hercules.

        That was a while back, and things may have changed but I have
never
seen anything to the contrary.

        Hey, IBM what is your stand on Hercules?

Your answer was probably complicated by the fact that when you asked the question, IBM very likely assumed an implied "on commodity hardware."

So I think we need to ask a followup question: "...on Hercules, when running in a z/Linux image, underneath an instance of z/VM on the processor or processors to which that version z/VM is licensed."

Certainly no one ever told me what I was doing on my H70 was illegal. A lot of people asked me questions that implied that they thought I was an idiot or at least insane--which, you know, from a performance standpoint, well, yeah, guilty as charged--but no one said that I shouldn't run my copy of z/VM at about 1/100th speed if that was what I really wanted to do.

Adam