Background: z/VM 5.4 RSU0902

We have recently been having a TPF guest system fail. An analysis of the
dump shows it is related (in some way) to an OSA timeout.

The exact cause is not clear, and there are a number of possible red
herrings floating around. However, while I was looking at the VM setup I
came across QIOAssist. It is ON for the system but INACTIVE for all users
except the VM TCPIP stack.

Reading the description, it looks as if it is a 'good thing' to have -
particularly for a TPF system that is driving OSA's itself. My only
hesitation in setting this ON for this user is - if it is generally a good
thing and there is no downside, then why is not active for all users by
default? This leads me to believe that there must be some trade-off (or
cases where it could be a negative). Can anyone enlighten me what the
downside, if any,  of setting this active for one or more users might be.

 Thanks in advance

Colin Allinson

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH