The z/OS systems are in separate LPAR's.

                                                 Dennis O'Brien

My computer beat me at chess, but it was no match for me in kickboxing.

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Mark Pace
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 05:57
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Duplicate hipersocket device addresses

I'm impressed that you have it intermittently working.  I've never
gotten a Hipersocket connection in z/OS as a VM guest to work.  One of
my colleagues is working with IBM on this problem.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:45 PM, O'Brien, Dennis L
<dennis.l.o'br...@bankofamerica.com
<mailto:dennis.l.o%27br...@bankofamerica.com> > wrote:

We're starting to test hipersockets between Linux guests on z/VM and
z/OS systems in separate LPAR's.  z/OS is having intermittent trouble
pinging one of the four Linux guests, but is fine with the other three.
All four Linux guests have no trouble pinging z/OS.  Someone suggested
that the device addresses used have to be unique among all the LPAR's.
E.g. if z/OS in LPAR 1 allocates FC00-FC02, then I shouldn't allocate
real FC00-FC02 on z/VM in LPAR 2 to a Linux guest, but should start with
FC03 or FC04.  I've never heard of such a restriction, and the source of
the advice is suspect.  Is there such a restriction?  I found a Redbook,
"e-Business Intelligence: Data Mart Solutions with DB2 for Linux on
zSeries", SG24-6294-00, that used the same addresses on z/OS in one LPAR
and a Linux guest in another LPAR.  Note that the z/OS TCP/IP
configuration doesn't specify UCB's, just CHPID numbers, but z/OS
allocates the lowest three UCB's on the CHPID.

If the device addresses aren't the problem, what else should I look at?
The TCP/IP configurations on the Linux guests are identical, except of
course for the IP address.  The intermittently-working guest has an IP
address that ends in ".1".  I know that ".1" addresses are customarily
used for routers, but there are no routers in this configuration.

--
Mark Pace
Mainline Information Systems