When one uses DESBUF, it should be preceeded by CONWAIT as DESBUF also
clears CMS' console output buffer.
In my young years, I was debugging an EXEC1 exec with an &TRACE ALL, and I
didn't see all executed lines.  I was almost convinced that I found a bug in
EXEC1 as in the console trace I saw it jump from exec line xxx to yyy
without an &GOTO to explain the jump...  But, you guessed it: at line yyy-1
there was a DESBUF...
In my experience, DESBUF is no longer of any use since the arrival of
DROPBUF, and that was together with EXEC2, maybe in VM/SP Rel 2.
So, in a bigger WAKEUP based server, where one isn't sure some other called
exec leaves stacked lines behind, it might be better to code
  'DROPBUF'
  'WAKEUP .....'      with or without CONS, it wouldn't matter anymore.