On Wednesday, 09/16/2009 at 07:14 EDT, "Gentry, Stephen"
<stephen.gen...@lafayettelife.com> wrote:

> Further, and in the same manual,  it states that you can clear each
T-DISK
> before it is reassigned.  It depends on your point of view but this
seems
> contradictory. Clear, in my opinion, means the T-DISK created with the
DEFINE
> command is completely cleared. Of course clearing cylinder 0, in effect,
makes
> the area unreadable.  Also one section of the manual seems to say that
the area
> is cleared at IPL time, the other section seems to say it is cleared
before it
> is reassigned.

Clearing cyl 0 only does not prevent you from reading the other cyls on
the volume; it simply stops you from mounting it in the "usual" fashion.

The z/VM Secure Configuration Guide tells you to enable CLEAR_TDISK in
SYSTEM CONFIG.  If you configure your system much the way it is described
in that book, your auditor won't have any arguments with you.