Thank you all for the input.  After trying and failing to make the MINIOP
user directory statement work, the ticket with IBM took a positive turn,

and have what I think is a good answer.  They pointed me to CP Planning

Manual section "Using HyperPAV Minidisks" which indicates for MDISK
allocations (the way we are allocating space) z/VM will automatically use

PAV if present.  This means there is no need, as discussed in the SC33-
8414-00 manual, to try and cause the z/Linux guest to use PAV with COMMAN
DEFINE HYPERPAVALIAS, DASDOPT, or MINIOPT statements in the user director
y.