Kris wrote:

> As far as I understand, CICS uses the local time in its logs, not UTC (and
> that's the reason that CICS must be kept down).  So keeping CICS down for
> an hour will be enough.  What the HW clock is doesn't matter for CICS.

So I would need CICS to be down 1 hour *IF* I was
changing "local time". Since the procedure I described
was to start at local-8PM and remain at local-8PM
(by changing the HW *and* the offset), I should be
able to restart CICS immediately.

> But, if you'd have DB2, that will use UTC -or more exact: the HW clock- in
> its logs (just like SFS), playing with the HW clock may mean you have to
> keep them down ...

Oh!! SFS uses HW time?! So will I need to leave all my SFS
servers down for 3 hours? (In my planned procedure, local time
remains 8PM, but HW clock changes from 9PM [with offset -0100]
to 6PM [with offset +0200] ).

If I did an orderly shutdown of VM, would I still need
to worry about SFS? If each server was shut down,
aren't all outstanding transactions ended? Why would the
logging be a problem?

Thank you for any clarification!
Shimon

> > My question is: If I now
> > -- shut down my system at
> > 8PM local time, when our hardware clock is 9PM
> > (according to our current settings: the hardware is still set
> > to local summer time),
> > -- and I change the hardware clock to
> > 6PM (UTC, 2 hours behind standard local, and 3 behind
> > summer local),
> > -- and set the VM timezone to 'standard local' at UTC+2,
> > which will be 8PM
> > ----> what will happen with CICS?
> > Do I need to have it down for 3 hours (since the HW clock went
> > from 9PM to 6PM) ??
> > Or can I start it up immediately (since the VM local time
> > stayed 8PM) ?

Shimon Lebowitz                mailto:shim...@iname.com
VM System Programmer           .
Israel Police National HQ.
Jerusalem, Israel              phone: +972 2 542-9877  fax: 542-9308