Bringing up a Linux guest is a resource intensive process: Linux touches every
page of it’s memory allocation and does a lot of fairly dumb things trying to
figure out it’s environment. If you have a lot of guests all trying to come up
at once, you will likely overtax the capability of CP to service all those
demands unless you are grossly overconfigured in CPU and memory. Pausing a few
seconds between bursts of guest startup activity lets CP get it’s house back in
order before the next onslaught begins.

Hardcoding 15 seconds is not a great idea — the right way to to do this is to
wait for a positive acknowledgement from each server that it has started
completely — but it’s not a bad SWAG to wait. The SYSVINIT code we wrote for
CMS does the positive ack processing; you might want to look at it in place of
timing based approaches like the one below.

-- db