On Wednesday, 11/11/2009 at 04:31 EST, "Frank M. Ramaekers"
<framaek...@ailife.com> wrote:
> That's great, if I was wanting to rework the entire mainframe network.
> My plans were just to route any intra-mainframe IP traffic onto a
> VSwitch and leave all of the external communication to the current
> method(s) (dedicated OSA).  (You know the adage KISS).
>
> I do like the redundancy with VSWITCH with multiple OSAs though.  (Maybe
> sometime in the future.)

As a side note, did you discuss with your Network People first?  To do
what you want with VM TCP/IP means creation of another IP subnet and
addresses and, possibly, the use of VIPA.  That depends on whether or not
you care about what IP address VM TCP/IP uses as an origin IP on outbound
packets.

Yes, reconfiguring network flows can be a non-trivial effort.  That's why
they deserve some thought before you deploy.  Rule #1 of virtual
networking:  Never EVER make virtual network configuration changes without
the express [written, preferably] approval of the Networking People.  Just
"peeling off" the packets to a particular host is easily done, but the
ramifications of doing so are glued to the Law of Unintended Consequences.
 ("What?  I need VIPA just to do *that*?  That means MPROUTE!")