I'm sorry, Sir Alan, but there really were "AP" (Attached Processor) mode
ls in which the base
processor could do I/O and the attached processor could not. the IBM 3033
AP was one such
model. See http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/3033/3033_TR03.html
, for example.

"Operating system support for the 3033 Attached Processor Complex is prov
ided by IBM's
Operating System/Virtual Storage 2 Multiple Virtual Storage (OS/VS2 MVS)
or Virtual Machine
Facility/370 (VM/370)."

Also supported by MVS/SEPP and VM/SEPP.

No doubt this was before you were born.

Sir Alan the Persevering

The "base" CPU is the first CPU that is defined to your virtual machine.