On Monday, 12/14/2009 at 10:49 EST, Kris Buelens <kris.buel...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Two Alan's, one is right, the other...
>
> There were APs and MPs, Attached Processors, Multi Processors.  Ages
ago, I
> explained both in a course and the difference was that the second
processor in
> an AP config couldn't perform I/O; on an MP, both could perform I/O, but
each
> only to the channels it had.

This Alan was wrong and I yield the field.

Indeed, I was conflating AP and MP.  Yes, in AP, there was only one
channel set (16 channels) and it belonged the base processor.  (At the
time, processor design was that the I/O bus was bound to a single CPU.) MP
had one channel set per processor.

There were eventually instructions and connectivity added that enabled a
"channel set takeover" by the AP in the event of a CPU failure.  So, a
shared bus, but only one CPU could use it at a time.

According to an informant, VM/XA could simulate 370 AP.  You could DEFINE
CPU 1, but SIO/SIOF didn't work.  Since the machine was actually running
in S/370-XA, there was no real AP, so it was a case of CP kneecapping the
virtual AP to stop SIO(F).