I do it because mostly after RSU there are Shared segments being rebuilt. Therefore I copy also the spool volume. I also don't think that I can use the same spool volume in first and second level vm. At least I have never tried it. I mentioned the spool backup for the possible case that the vm spool is used for production printing and therefore a necessary restore of the file delta between the copying of the vm dasds and the switch to production after the rsu.

kind regards
Franz Josef Pohlen

Jeff Gribbin schrieb:
Franz Josef,
If you move your production SPOOL to dedicated volumes, along with your WARMSTART / CHECKPOINT areas then, unless the format of the SPOOL control blocks changes (a rare occurrence and one which is always flagged in the documentation when it happens) you shouldn't need to restore the SPOOL files. (Of course, I'd always advise taking a SPOOL backup - "just in case" but, with a separate SPOOL configuration I wouldn't expect / plan to need to use it!)

Regards
Jeff

(P.S. Whenever I've had influence over such things I have always modified COPYFILE to default to OLDDATE - it's saved my bacon on several occasions!)